Can


The modal auxiliary can is used

Expressing ability
to express ability (in the sense of being able to do something or knowing how to do something):
    Ramu can run faster than anyone I know.
    I can speak Chinese.
    Can your brother speak english?”
    I don’t think he can speak english.”
    do the best you can.”
    When can you start?”

Permission
to expression permission 
    I can drive Ramu's car when he is abroad.
    Can Gopi come to the function with us?
    You can leave the classroom once you are finished with the test.
    You can’t have any dessert until you’ve finished your dinner.

permission 
can or may?
The only difference between the two verbs is that one is more polite than the other. In informal contexts it’s perfectly accepatable to use can; in formal situatioons it would be better to use may.

Can 
Compare

asking for permission

formal/polite?

giving permission

formal/polite?

Can I ask you a few questions?”


informal

Yes, Gopi can.







Yes, you may.

Yes, you could.

informal

Could I ask you a few questions?

more formal/polite

formal/polite

May I ask you a few questions?

even more formal/polite

Making requests
       Can I have a glass of water?
       Your sister is a lawyer, right? Can she give me some legal advice?
        Can you give me a lift to school?
Requests usually refer to the near future.( in an informal way, especially between friends or family ). ( Informal Request )
    It is common to use can to make a request of someone. For example:
    Can I have a glass of water?
    Can you hand me the pen?
In more formal or polite circumstances, we can use other modal verbs such as could or would to create more polite constructions, as in:
        Would you please be quiet?
        Could you help me with this assignment?

Making offers(informal)
While it might be seen as impolite to use can to make a request, it is perfectly polite to use it to                 make an offer. For example:
        Can I help you?
        Can I do anything to help get dinner ready?
        Can I help you find what you need?
        There is nothing left in the fridge. Can I do some shopping for you?
If we want to be even more polite or add formality to the offer, we can use may instead, as in:
        May I be of some assistance?
        May we help you in any way?

അഭിപ്രായങ്ങള്‍

ഈ ബ്ലോഗിൽ നിന്നുള്ള ജനപ്രിയ പോസ്റ്റുകള്‍‌

ഗാന്ധി

1857 (ഒന്നാം ഇന്ത്യൻ സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരം)

ബഹിരാകാശ സഞ്ചാരികൾ