Making Requests

Making requests – 
A request is when we ask someone for something. Since we are asking someone for help, it is important to be polite.
  • We must avoid being too direct.
    • examples of being too direct:
      • “open the door
      • “Pass me the salt.”
      • “Can you carry my bag?”
      • These are not polite requests. . People  will think that you are giving them orders.
  • There are a number of ways of asking someone to do something in a polite and indirect way .These are the most common ways for making requests:
    • Would you... ? 
      • Would you pass me the salt
    • Would you mind……
      • Would you mind collecting my suit from the shop
    • Could you... ? 
      • “Could you open the door for me, please?”
    •  Will you... ? 
      • Will you send me an email tomorrow just to remind me to book a hotel?
    • Can you... ? 
      • “Can you open the door for me, please?’
  • can you and will you make requests but they are more informal(more casual way)
    • To ask questions in a polite but more casual way, say: Will you/ Can you (please) + V1 + ...?
      • Will you please answer the phone? I’m working.
      • Can you hold my books for me? My hands are full.
    • To ask questions in a very polite way, use: Would you/ Could you (please) +V1 + ...?
      • Would you please email that document to me? 
      • Could you explain that again, please? I didn’t understand.
  • Would you mind .. ? Would you mind is followed by the verb and -ing.w
    • Would you mind + ing form of verb … ?
      • Would you mind carrying my bags?
    • would you mind if… is followed by the verb in the past tense.
      • "Would you mind if I took the day off tomorrow?"
Speaking tips

Polite requests

·         Accepting Requests:

Refusing requests

Would you mind opening the window for me, please?

·         Sure, I’d be glad to…

·          I’d be happy to …

·          Sure. Just a moment.

·          No problem.

·          Of course

·          Certainly.

·          All right.

·         I’m sorry, I can’t.

·          I’m sorry, but …

·          I’d loved to, but …

·          Sorry to say that …

·          It sounds great, but …

Could you join us at a party on this Sunday?

Would you like to join us at a party on Sunday?

Can you open the door for me

 


  • ‘Do you mind…?’ and ‘Would you mind…?’ mean ‘Is it a problem for you?’ so the answer when we ‘say yes’ is ‘No’.
    •  "Would you mind if I opened the window?"
      • No, not at all.
    • Do you mind if I changed the channel?" 
      • No, of course not.

അഭിപ്രായങ്ങള്‍

ഈ ബ്ലോഗിൽ നിന്നുള്ള ജനപ്രിയ പോസ്റ്റുകള്‍‌

ഗാന്ധി

1857 (ഒന്നാം ഇന്ത്യൻ സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരം)

ബഹിരാകാശ സഞ്ചാരികൾ