shall

Modal Auxiliary Verbs - Shall
  • Shall" is a modal verb used to indicate future action.
  • We use it mostly with I and we
  • shall usages
    • shall is used to make suggestions using I and we
    •  You see an old man is carrying heavy bags.
      you:Shall I help you carry your bags?
    • shall is used to make offers using I and we
      • Shall I make you a coffee?
    • shall’ used to describe formal  obligations
      • Applicants shall provide self attested copies of their certificates to prove their qualification
      • Employees shall provide a medical certificate for sick leave.
      • you shall abide by the law.
      • There shall be no trespassing on this property.
      • Students shall not enter this room.
    • to indicate future action(formal situations)
      • I shall be replaced by someone from the Head office.
      • I shall be there by 8:00. 
    • to make promises
      • There's no need to worry. I shall never forget you.
      • I shall never give up the fight for freedom. 
    • inevitability
      • Man shall explore the distant regions of the universe.
      • We shall overcome oppression. Man shall never give up the exploration of the universe.
  • WILL/OR SHALL
    •  The traditional rule is that shall is used with first person pronouns (i.e. I and we) to form the future tense, while will is used with second and third person forms (i.e. you, he, she, it, they). For example:
      • I shall leave for Chicago tomorrow.
      • We shall discuss the matter with the chairman.
      • The train will leave at 9.40 pm.
      • He will be back in a day or two.
    •  However, when it comes to expressing a strong determination to do something, the roles are reversed: will is used with the first person, and shall with the second and third. For example:
      •  I will go there, whatever happens. (Determination)
      • We will not let you go. (Determination)
    • Shall can be used with second and third person pronouns to express a command.
      • You shall not lie. (= You are commanded not to lie.)
      • She shall obey my orders. (= She is commanded to obey my orders.)
      • He shall go at once. (= He is commanded to go at once.)
        • to express a threat.
          • You shall regret this.
          • They shall pay dearly.
        • Shall may also express determination.
          • You shall apologize. (= You will be obliged to apologize.)
      • Warning:
        • We use shall only with I and we to make predictions or express intentions:
          • The new office will be ready at the end of the year
          • Not: The new office shall be ready at the end of theyear
      • Important
        • In very formal contexts, we use shall to give commands:
          • This door shall be kept closed at all times.

അഭിപ്രായങ്ങള്‍

ഈ ബ്ലോഗിൽ നിന്നുള്ള ജനപ്രിയ പോസ്റ്റുകള്‍‌

ഗാന്ധി

1857 (ഒന്നാം ഇന്ത്യൻ സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരം)

ബഹിരാകാശ സഞ്ചാരികൾ