Modal Verbs of Obligation

In English there are various ways to describe rules and obligations, and it can be tricky to understand which way is right for each situation. 
  • need to, 
  • must and 
  • have to are all used to express strong obligation. 
  • All three have equal strength. 
  • ‘shall’ is used to describe formal obligations.
Here is a description of each modal verb that we use to express obligation and how and when to use them.

  • need to
  • must and 
  • have to are all used to express strong obligation. 
  • All three have equal strength.
Must
  • ‘Must’ is the basic and most direct way of saying something is compulsory. 
  • It means you have no choice but to do (or not do) an action. 
  • It is formal
  • We can only use ‘must’ in the present form 
    • to describe a general or permanent obligation, 
      • You must wear a seat belt at all times.
      • Travellers must show their passport before boarding a plane.
      • You must use a pencil on the test.
    • or an obligation in the near future.
      • I must go to work today.
      • My tooth is sore. I must go to the dentist.
Must Vs have to
Must and have to express obligation or necessity, but there are some small differences.:
  • must is used for internal obligations, and have to is used for external obligations.
    • 'Have to' shows that the obligation comes from someone else, not the speaker. This is usually referring to a rule or law.
      • To travel, you have to carry a passport.
      • I have to work on Sunday..
    • 'Must' shows us that the obligation comes from the speaker.
      • I must hand in these articles by tomorrow.
      • I must call my freinds.
    • the difference between 'have to' and 'must':
      • If I want to lose weight, I must start doing more exercise.(I have no choice)
      • The doctor told me to lose weight so I have to go to the gym (it’s my decision)
The negative forms of Must and have to
  • Mustn't expresses prohibition
    • You must not eat in the computer room. 
      • (Food in the computer room is prohibited.
  •  Don't have to expresses the absence of obligation or necessity:
    • I don’t have to work today. 
      • (Working is not necessary.)

if you are still a bit confused ...

Here's an example you can remember:
In a non-smoking area you mustn’t smoke, but in a smoking area you don’t have to smoke but you can if you want to.


Need’ as a modal
  • As a modal verb, ‘need’ is most typically used in negative sentences to say there is no obligation. It expresses absence of necessity or obligation
      • She need not arrive (needn’t arrive) so early.
      • I don’t need to pay now. I can pay later.
  • But to say that there is an obligation not to do something, use “mustn’t”.
      • She mustn't use such horrible language.
      • Tom. You mustn't play with fire.
      • You mustn't drive more than 25 mph in this zone.
  • We can also use “can’t”:
      • “You can’t go out tonight. You’ve got homework.
Should is a weak obligation, and we use it to give advice.
      • I think you should go to the doctor (I think it is a good idea, that's my opinion)
      • You shouldn't smoke so much (I think it is not a good idea, that's my opinion)
shall’ used to describe formal  obligations
      • Applicants shall provide self attested copies of their certificates to prove their qualification
      • Employees shall provide a medical certificate for sick leave.
      • you shall abide by the law.
      • There shall be no trespassing on this property.
      • Students shall not enter this room.

അഭിപ്രായങ്ങള്‍

ഈ ബ്ലോഗിൽ നിന്നുള്ള ജനപ്രിയ പോസ്റ്റുകള്‍‌

ഗാന്ധി

1857 (ഒന്നാം ഇന്ത്യൻ സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരം)

ബഹിരാകാശ സഞ്ചാരികൾ