Modal Auxiliary_ will

  • "Will" is a modal verb used with promises , voluntary actions or predictions that take place in the future.
    • Promises
      • I promise that I will write you every single day
    • voluntary actions
      • I will send you the information when I get it.
    • "Will" can also be used to talk about what is going to happen in the future, especially things that you are certain about or things that are planned:
      • Clare will be five years old next month.
      • The train leaves at 8:58, so we'll be in Scotland by lunchtime.
  •  used to ask someone to do something:
      • Will you give me her address?
      • Will you give that to Tony when you see him, please?
  •  used in conditional sentences with 'if':
      •  If he's late again, I'll be very angry.
      • I'll wait with Christopher if his mother isn't here when you go.
  • WILL/OR SHALL
    •  The traditional rule is that shall is used with first person pronouns (i.e. I and we) to form the future tense, while will is used with second and third person forms (i.e. you, he, she, it, they). For example:
      • I shall leave for Chicago tomorrow.
      • We shall discuss the matter with the chairman.
      • The train will leave at 9.40 pm.
      • He will be back in a day or two.
    •  However, when it comes to expressing a strong determination to do something, the roles are reversed: will is used with the first person, and shall with the second and third. For example:
      •  I will go there, whatever happens. (Determination)
      • We will not let you go. (Determination)
    • Shall can be used with second and third person pronouns to express a command.
      • You shall not lie. (= You are commanded not to lie.)
      • She shall obey my orders. (= She is commanded to obey my orders.)
      • He shall go at once. (= He is commanded to go at once.)
    • to express a threat.
      • You shall regret this.
      • They shall pay dearly.
    • Shall may also express determination.
      • You shall apologize. (= You will be obliged to apologize.)
  • We use Will you … ? or Would you … ? to make requests:
      • Will you carry this for me, please?
      • Would you please be quiet?
    • But would you is more polite

അഭിപ്രായങ്ങള്‍

ഈ ബ്ലോഗിൽ നിന്നുള്ള ജനപ്രിയ പോസ്റ്റുകള്‍‌

ഗാന്ധി

1857 (ഒന്നാം ഇന്ത്യൻ സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരം)

ബഹിരാകാശ സഞ്ചാരികൾ