Tense part 2-If I was and If i were


If I ----- in your position , I would refuse to pay him(LAB ASSISTANT - KLM, KTM, PKD, KNR - 15/09/2018)
Was b) were c)has d) have

I / he / she / it - WAS
We / you / they - WERE

സാധാരണയായി  PAST TENSE ഇതാണ് ശരി
എന്നാൽ  past tense അല്ലാതെയും WERE ഉപയോഗിക്കുന്ന സന്ദർഭമുണ്ട് .
SUBJUNCTIVE mood ലാണ് ഇതുപയോഗിക്കുക
എന്താണ് subjunctive mood ?

In the English language, sentences can take on three different moods:
Indicative: The indicative mood makes statements or asks questions:
I saw something today that really annoyed me.(statement)

Imperative: An imperative statement makes requests or gives commands.imperative sentence   subject പലപ്പോഴും  "you" ആയിരിക്കും, പക്ഷെ അത്  sentence പ്രത്യക്ഷപെടാറില്ല
Sit on the sofa.
Let me go to bed
Keep reading.

Subjunctive: A verb in the subjunctive mood deals with hypothetical situations or with ideas that are contrary to fact. Subjunctive: Subjunctive:subjunctive mood ലുള്ള  ഒരു  verb സാങ്കൽപ്പികമായ situations ലോ വിപരീത അർത്ഥത്തിലോ ആണ് ഉപയോഗിക്കാറ്  .
If I were you, I would run.
(The verb follows if and expresses a non-factual condition.)
ഒരു സാങ്കൽപ്പിക അവസ്ഥയെ സൂചിപ്പിക്കുന്നു. എനിക്ക് നിങ്ങളാകാൻ ഒരിക്കലും സാധിക്കില്ല
I wish she were able to type faster.

(The second verb is in a clause following a verb expressing a wish. It also suggests a non-factual or doubtful condition.)
ഇതൊരാഗ്രഹം മാത്രമാണ്. യഥാർത്ഥത്തിൽ അവൾക്ക് വേഗത്തിൽ type ചെയ്യാൻ പറ്റുന്നില്ല

നിന്റെ സ്ഥാനത്ത് ഞാനായിരുന്നെങ്കിൽ എന്ന രീതിയിൽ ഉപദേശം നൽകുന്നതിനും subjunctive mood ആണ് ഉപയോഗിക്കുക
If I were you
If I were you ...മറ്റൊരാളുടെ സ്ഥാനത്ത് നിങ്ങളായിരുന്നെങ്കിൽ നിങ്ങൾ എന്ത് ചെയ്യുമായിരുന്നെന്  ഒരു  ADVICE നല്കുന്നതിന് നിങ്ങളുപയോഗിക്കുന്നു .
If I were you, I would study more.
If I were you, I would stop doing that.


എന്തുകൊണ്ട്  IF I WERE and not IF I WAS?
WERE , WAS ന് പകരം ഉപയോഗിക്കുന്നത്   sentence  SUBJUNCTIVE mood ആയതിനാലാണ് . This is a condition which is contrary(വിപരീതം) to fact or reality (the fact is, I am NOT you).
In the subjunctive mood we use IF + I / HE / SHE / IT + WERE for the verb To Be.
If I were not in debt, I would quit my job. (But the contrary is true, I AM in debt, so I cannot quit my job)
If he were taller, he'd be accepted into the team.

ഏതാണ് ശരി : "if I was" or "if I were"? And why?

if I was or if I were ഏതാണ് ഉപയോഗിക്കേണ്ടത് എന്നത് sentence ൻറെ mood നെ ആസ്പദമാക്കിയാണ്
subjunctive mood    if I were
indicative mood if I was

Consider the following sentences:
If I was wrong, I apologize.(തെറ്റ് എന്റെ ഭാഗത്താണെങ്കിൽ ഞാൻ മാപ്പ് പറയുന്നു)
If I were wrong, I would apologize.(തെറ്റ് എന്റെ ഭാഗത്തായിരുന്നെങ്കിൽ ഞാൻ മാപ്പ് പറഞ്ഞഞ്ഞേനെ )
The first sentence is in the indicative mood — ഇവിടെ സംസാരിക്കുന്നയാൾ മാപ്പ് പറയുന്നുണ്ട്.
second sentence,  subjunctive mood ലാണ് തെറ്റ് തന്റെ ഭാഗത്തല്ല എന്നും തന്റെ ഭാഗത്തായിരുന്നെങ്കിൽ മാപ്പ് പറഞ്ഞേനെ എന്നുമാണ് സൂചിപ്പിക്കുന്നത്.

If I were a millionaire,
(A) I would have bought a car.
(B) I will buy a car.
(C) I would have been bought a car.
(D) I would buy a car.

അഭിപ്രായങ്ങള്‍

ഈ ബ്ലോഗിൽ നിന്നുള്ള ജനപ്രിയ പോസ്റ്റുകള്‍‌

ഗാന്ധി

1857 (ഒന്നാം ഇന്ത്യൻ സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരം)

ബഹിരാകാശ സഞ്ചാരികൾ