13.4 reported speech part 2


The indirect form of “Do you like comics?” she asked me is
a.                   She asked me whether I like comics
b.                  She asked me whether I have liked comics
c.                   She asked me whether I liked comics
d.                  She asked me did I liked comics    (University Assistant Exam 2016 - 24 May 2016)
This is an yes or no question. An yes or no question starts with a helping verb.To make an yes/ no question  Simply switch (invert) the subject and the verb of the matching sentence.
 He can swim really well. (subject+helping verb---he+can)
Question: Can he swim really well?(helping verb+ subject,inversion)
if you need to report a 'yes / no' question? we use 'if':
  • Direct speech: Do you like chocolate?
  • Reported speech: She asked me if I liked chocolate.

  • Direct speech: Have you ever been to Mexico?
  • Reported speech:She asked me if I had ever been to Mexico
ശ്രദ്ധിക്കുക!! ഇവിടെ നടക്കുന്ന പ്രധാന മാറ്റങ്ങൾ ഇതെല്ലാമാണ്
Reported speech  (whetherഅല്ലെങ്കിൽ  if) വരുന്നു
Have you എന്നുള്ളത്  I had എന്നായി മാറുന്നു
അതായത്  direct speech  yes or no question  helping verb നു  ശേഷമാണ്  subject  വരുന്നതെങ്കിൽ ( have you)  question report ചെയുമ്പോൾ  subject നു  ശേഷമാണ്  helping verb വരുന്നത്
അപ്പോൾ  ഒരു  yes or no question report ചെയ്യുമ്പോൾ താഴെ പറയുന്ന കാര്യങ്ങൾ ശ്രദ്ധിക്കണം
if/whether ചേർക്കണം
yes / no question  ഉള്ള  helping verb+ subject എന്നത്  reporting   subject +verb എന്നാക്കണം
Reporting verb past ആണെങ്കിൽ  helping verb ഉം  past ആക്കണം
The indirect form of “Do you like comics?” she asked me is
She asked me whether I like comics
She asked me whether I have liked comics
She asked me whether I liked comics
She asked me did I liked comics
Option c ആണ് ശരി
She asked me whether I liked(Did+like) comics
ഇവിടെ  question ലെ  helping verb+ subject order മാറ്റുക അതായത്  do you like എന്നത്  I did like എന്നാക്കി മാറ്റുക  I did like= i liked(did+like=liked)
(continues)

അഭിപ്രായങ്ങള്‍

ഈ ബ്ലോഗിൽ നിന്നുള്ള ജനപ്രിയ പോസ്റ്റുകള്‍‌

ഗാന്ധി

1857 (ഒന്നാം ഇന്ത്യൻ സ്വാതന്ത്ര്യ സമരം)

ബഹിരാകാശ സഞ്ചാരികൾ